Looking to mix up your pre-cragging breakfast routine? Find yourself hungry halfway through your warm-up? Just want something healthy but tasty and simple to make for your next meal? Pre-Climbing Power French Toast has you covered.
2 (or 3 if you’re super hungry) slices Ezekiel bread
1 tablespoon whole milk
1 dash cinnamon
1 dash ground nutmeg
¼-½ tablespoons butter
6 oz plain Greek yogurt
1 cup blueberries (and/or strawberries, and/or mango)
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 tablespoon (real!) maple syrup or honey
- Mix chia seeds into Greek yogurt (to allow them to soften).
- Beat together egg, milk, and dashes of cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour into shallow bowl or onto a plate.
- On medium-low heat, melt butter in frying pan. Dip slices of bread into egg mixture, soaking up as much as possible, and fry until golden brown. Fry any remaining egg mixture to have alongside your French toast, or make an extra slice or two for a tasty twist on your lunchtime peanut butter and honey sandwich.
- Top French toast slices with Greek yogurt mixture and fruit. Drizzle maple syrup or honey on top.
- Optional: Enjoying with coffee recommended.
Why this keeps you fueled and feeling full: You begin your day with a base of 20+ grams of complete protein from the egg, Greek yogurt, and Ezekiel bread (a preservative-free, whole grain, and complete protein bread with additional health benefits making it superior to other whole grain breads). The 10 grams of dietary fiber–about 40% of your daily recommended fiber–found in the chia seeds and Ezekiel bread help keep you full for hours, especially when coupled with the healthy fat from your egg, omega-3-rich chia seeds, and low or full-fat yogurt (and a little extra yummy goodness from the butter). Additionally, the long-lasting complex carbs from whole grains help keep you fueled past your warm-up, while the fast-burning sugars from the vitamin- and antioxidant-rich fruit and maple syrup or honey give you a boost for the approach. Overall, you have all of your macros in a tasty “real food” form that’s easy to make.